1. Leicester is the tenth largest city in the UK, with a population of around 330,000.
2. Leicester is one of the oldest cities in the UK, with a history stretching back over 2,000 years.
3. Leicester Market is the biggest outdoor, covered market in the whole of Europe.
4. Leicester is the final resting place of Richard III.
5. Experts have agreed that Leicester is the birthplace of modern standard English.
6. Leicester hosts the biggest Diwali celebrations outside India.
7. The exact centre of England is in Leicestershire marked with a sign on a farm just outside Fenney Drayton.
8. Leicester is the birthplace of Walkers crisps.
9. In 1841 Thomas Cook invented tourism when he chartered a train to carry people from Leicester to Loughborough.
10. Leicester is home to the first Jain temple to be established in the West. It is the largest in the UK.